The planning committee for the 125th anniversary of Holy Savior Menard is looking for help in pulling together memorabilia of any kind -- photos, uniforms, awards, stories -- for the 125th celebration. Anyone interested or having anything to contribute, please call Kathleen Adamson at 318-445-8233.
In 1887, the Sisters of Divine Providence opened St. Francis Xavier Academy for girls. Father Leonard Menard, the pastor of St. Francis Xavier, was concerned about the education of the young men in the area. He contacted the Provincial of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart in News Orleans, and in 1892, four Brothers arrived to staff the St. Francis Xavier Commercial College located on Second and Ogden Streen. It opened in 1893 with 87 students.