In 1968, Bishop Charles P. Greco approved the establishment of Holy Cross as a non-territorial campus parish to serve the then named Northwestern State College, now known as Northwestern State University or NSU. Holy Cross is still the only campus parish in the Diocese.
Welcome to Holy Cross Catholic Church, located in Natchitoches, Louisiana, where we've been 'bringing Christ to people and people to Christ" for the past 95 years.
Whether you are student of Northwestern State University, or a parent, university faculty member, administrator, alumnus, community member or visitor, we welcome you to our small, but active congregation!
- Wednesday Night Suppers -- Every week, a free meal is served to NSU students in the Holy Cross Student Center. Come join us for food, fun, and fellowship, or volunteer to help us serve the students.
- Religious Adult Christian Initiation (RCIA) -- If you, or anyone you know, are interested in becoming a Catholic or learning more about the Catholic faith, please call the office to find out more about our RCIA classes.
- Ministry of Education -- The Catechetical Institute isa four-year program designed to prepare university students as catechists for evanlgelization. Call the office for details.
- Why Catholic -- Why Catholic is an adult education program that helps people explore the catechism of the Catholic Church by taking it off the shelf and putting it into their hands. Beginning in the Fall of 2006, the program offers 48 sessions (once a month, over four years) on beliefs, sacrements, morality and prayer. Call 352-2615 to join the program.
- Bible Study -- Weekly bible study classes are held at the church and are open to anyone.
- Awakening Retreat -- Held once a year, the Awakening Retreat is an opporunity for young adults to grow in their spirituality.
- Catholic Student Resource Center -- The Student Center houses many activities and functions planned and offered by the church for the students of Northwestern State University.
- Eucharistic Adoration Chapel -- This beautiful chapel was built and created by the help and donations of Holy Cross parishioners and the Natchitoches community. Each week, hundreds of hours are spent at the chapel in a richly prayerful environment before the Blessed Sacrament -- an amazing response for such a small parish with a congregation of so many college students!
Pope John Paul II via Dolorosa Stations of the Cross -- This unique and beautiful outdoor life-sized Stations of the Cross garden is located next to Holy Cross Church and adjacent to the AmericanCemetery. This project, still in progress, offers parishioners, students and visitors to Holy Cross, a unique way to experience peace and solitude as Christ's passion is prayed. Throughout the year, the Stations of the Cross are held every Friday after the 8:30 a.m. Mass at Holy Cross Church. During Lent, the Mass is held at 5:15 p.m. and the Stations at 5:45 p.m., weather permitting.