Our Mission is to build a community of faith by worshiping together, by loving God and neighbors as ourselves, and fostering and inspiring active participation of all parishioners is the total life of the Church and community by sharing time, talents, and treasures for the praise and glory of God and service to others.
The Sacred Heart Church complex is unique in that it is all housed together in one area: Church, Rectory, Mays Lacour Parish Hall and Museum, School (Sacred Heart Elementary), two cemeteries, funeral home (Escude`), and retirement center (St. John’s).
Church organizations and special programs offer opportunities for parishioners to participate in enriching their Christian life and service to God.
The Mays Lacour Parish Hall has a wide use for church related meetings and CCD classes. A small museum of Church artifacts is displayed in the parish hall as well as a collection of historical pictures of churches, former pastors, and religious events.
A special service provided to the publication for over 25 years is the broadcast of the Saturday Vigil Mass on Sunday mornings on local radio station KLIL to get out the Word of God.
New parishioners are welcome to become members of Sacred Heart Church Parish. They are encouraged to come by to register at the rectory during office hours to meet the pastor and staff.
Saturday 3:30 – 4:00 p.m. (winter), 4:00 – 4:30 p.m. (summer) and by appointment.
- Knights of Columbus – President, Maurice Mayeaux
- Ladies Altar Society – President, Mrs. Cynthia Gremillion. To view the most recent newsletter please visit: http://www.shcmoreauville.org/organizations:ladies-altar-society
- Adult Choir – Choir Director, Mrs. Janice Coco
- Youth Choir – Kelsey Wilkes
- If you would like to join any of the above organizations please call the Rectory Office.
- Eucharistic Minister – To join this ministry you must be a practicing Catholic and have recieved the sacraments of First Communion and Confirmation.
- Lector – Qualifications – must be a practicing Catholic
- Altar Servers – Boys and girls going into the Third Grade or older.
- Usher – Young adults and older.
- Sacristan - Young adults and older
- Collection Counter - Adult
If you would like to join one or more of the ministries above please call Sacred Heart Rectory at 985-2774 or visit http://www.shcmoreauville.org/ministries:sign-up Training Sessions will be scheduled as needed.
To preview the current Ministry Schedule please visit http://www.shcmoreauville.org/ministries:ministry-schedule
Sacred Heart Parish is located along Bayou des Glaises in the small country Village of Moreauville. It is the second oldest church parish that dates to 1858 in Avoyelles and originally was called St. Hyacinthe's.
The center of life for most of the citizens living in and around Moreauville along Bayou des Glaises has been Sacred Heart Catholic Church. Prior to that time people of the Moreauville area attended Mass and received the sacraments at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, established in 1796 at Hydropolis (Mansura) on lands adjoining the present day St. Paul’s Catholic Church Cemetery.
Historical records show that on Easter Sunday, April 9, 1882, the second building the church occupied was dedicated and the name of the church was changed from St. Hyacinthe's to Sacred Heart. Also, a side note: on that day in 1882, a great flood covered Moreauville and people had to arrive at the front steps by boat.
Sacred Heart Church maintains and cherishes many traditions. Many of the parishioners are of French ancestry and still speak the language.