Catholic services in the Deville community date back to 1834 when a pastor at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral in Alexandria began conducting Mass for a group of farmers at Holloway Prairie.
About 20 years later, a small mission church was built on the site of what is now called the "old Catholic Cemetery," a site which was the object of a major cleanup in 1984. At that time, the oldest grave found was dated 1855.
With disruptions caused by the Civil War, the congregation scattered, and it wasn't until 1880 that the first church was built. In the meantime, a legendary historical figure in the community, known as Uncle Jimmie Noone, kept the Catholic Church alive in the area by teaching religion to children in the absence of a pastor.