Saint Michael's Church is still the only church located in Leesville, La. and we rest directly in the heart of the "small" city. We are a medium sized Parish, but we are large in family orientation. We are blessed to have Father Kenneth Michiels as our Pastor. Saint Michael's offers several programs such as CCD, Youth Group, RCIA, Choir, Ladies Circle, Homebound/Sick Ministries, Knights of Columbus, and weekly Friday Adoration. We also have many families from the nearby military base, Fort Polk, which deepens our sense of commitment to the community.
Confessions are heard 30 minutes before each weekend Mass or by appointment.
CCD: Tammy Cecil
RCIA: Penny Smith (337) 238-5486
Youth: Tammy Veillon (337) 378-8096
Hispanic Ministry: Delia Lanter
Ladies Circle: Beryl Ford
Knights of Columbus: Charles Renz (337) 208-1548
Homebound/Sick: Bill Endris (337) 718-2336
The first and only Catholic Church in Leesville was erected by Father Q. Vanderburg in 1913. It was blessed by the Right Reverend Bishop Cornelius Van De Ven on April 26th, 1914, and dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel.
St. Michael's changed from a Mission to a Parish on October 18, 1946 by Most Rev. Bishop Charles P. Greco. The first administrator was Rev. Dennis Curran from Oct. 18, 1946 until May 1, 1947.
At the time St. Michael's was made a parish there were 29 families in Leesville. It has since grown into a parish of well over 400 families.
In 1948 the property adjacent to the Church was purchased and served as a Convent for The Daughters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. In 1951 the school and hall were begun and later the kindergarten was opened. St. Michael School was dedicated on Sunday, October 28, 1951.
The frame of the church was extensively renovated in 1964 while Father Henry Beckers was Pastor. Several other small and large church renovations have been made since 1964, to include the the tearing down of the Convent in 1970 and putting in a parking lot.
In May 2005, the original frame church, offices and rectory for Saint Michael's were demolished to make room for a new church and rectory. In mid-2004, Saint Michael's sought the services of Architects Southwest to assist them in designing a new church which would hold their now 400 plus families. After many long months of planning, waiting, meeting, and planning some more, a new and beautfiul design came to be. Before the end of 2004, the ball was rolling.After delays, due to acts of God and man, the new church is finally finished and dedicated Feb. 16, 2007.