In 1827, William and Helen Smith Ferriday established Helene Plantation, consisting of 4,000 acres in east Louisiana, located west of Vidalia. This location was to become the town of Ferriday.
In 1924, Mass was offered by priests from Vidalia and Natchez in private homes in the growing community. In 1925, a small chapel dedicated in honor of St. Thomas was built as a mission of Vidalia. That chapel was destroyed by a storm and a new chapel was erected in 1935. The new chapel was dedicated in honor of St. Patrick by Fr. Robert Ryer.
In 1951, Bishop Greco established St. Patrick's as an independent parish and Fr. Simone Vitale was appointed as the first pastor. In 1953, a rectory was completed and Fr. John Gayer was appointed as the second pastor of the church. In 1958, the present church was constructed under Fr. Gayer and blessed by Bishop Greco on the Feast of St. Patrick, March 17.
Today, the parish also serves the mission of St. Gerard in Jonesville which was originally established as a mission of Jena.
St. Gerard's first church was an old Army building secured by Bishop Greco. On November 1, 1964, ground was broken for the erection of a new church designed by Fr. Leger Trembley. The new structure, measuring 60 by 30 feet and seating 100 people, was built by James Al Eiland of Bunkie for less than $20,000. It was blessed by Bishop Greco on May 31, 1965.