St. Peter

The St. Peter/St. Michael community is a small church parish in rural Avoyelles Parish.  Most of the people are either related, married into the family or are children of families who have been friends for many generations.  This is a community that works together, enjoying each other’s company.  The Annual Fall Fair enjoys the cooperation and hard work of most of the community producing wonderful food, camaraderie and an enjoyable time for all.  Organizations like the Altar Society, Knights of Columbus, Choir, CCD Teachers, all join together to make the Fair a hugh success.  The spirit of hospitality and cooperation is found throughout the year.

The beginning of the Catholic Church in Bordelonville is associated with the Catholic Church in Moreauville.  In 1900, Fr. Constantine Brahic was sent to Bordelonville to build a church.  In September 1903, Bishop Antoine Durier divided Sacred Heart Parish in Moreauville and established St. Peter Parish in Bordelonville and appointed Fr. Regis Gimbert the first pastor.  The first church building was completed in 1903.

Fr. Peter Besselaer served as pastor from 1923-1937.  In the fall of 1927, a fire was discovered in the sacristy which destroyed the entire building.  The present church was completed in 1928.

Msgr. Isidore DeCeulaer became the pastor in 1937 and remained until 1969, having the longest tenure as pastor.  Msgr. DeCeulaer was known and loved by his parishioners as a true spiritual leader nurturing the faith in the Bordelonville community for 32 years.

In 1964, St. Michael in Rexmere was established as a parish and Fr. Ted Lelieveld was appointed pastor.  In 1975, St. Michael's began to be served from St. Peter Church.  Fr. Gustave Bergeron served as pastor of St. Peter’s from 1969 to 1975.  Under his pastorate, a parish hall (community center) was built and named for his predecessor, Msgr. Isidore DeCeulaer.  Fr. Bergeron also built a new rectory and completed the first phase of the mausoleum.

Following Fr. Bergeron there have been 11 pastors to serve St. Peter/St. Michael Parish.