St. Rita parish is one of 26 parishes that Bishop Daniel F. Desmond erected during his 12 year administration.


The motto of St. Rita Catholic Church is A Loving Family in Worship – Learning – Action. This motto is lived out in the friendly and inviting way in which the faith of our community is embraced and reflected.

As a Family in Worship, we invest much in our liturgical celebrations. Recognizing that the Mass and other liturgies are the ways in which people are primarily touched by God, we offer a variety of Masses and music ministries that reflect a broad spectrum of Catholic spirituality.

As a Family in Learning, we offer many opportunities for faith formation: through our Parish Religion Program (CCD), our Child Development Center, Youth groups, adult education seminars and Bible studies, to name a few.

As a Family in Action, our parish is involved in many social ministries. From visitation of the sick and shut-ins of the parish, to our St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store, there are many opportunities for parishioners to become involved in ministry.


Confessions on Saturday from 3:45 – 3:55 PM


1940 – Bishop Daniel Desmond, D.D. bought a piece of land on what was called “Race Track Addition” to build St. Rita Church. The first Mass was celebrated on Sunday, September 1, 1940.
July 1941 – Rev. Hermel Dube became the first Pastor of St. Rita Parish, which consisted of about 60 families with a total of 375 parishioners.
August 1948 – St. Rita School opened.
1954 – Rev. William Hopp became the second pastor and served until 1956.
May 1956 – Rev. B.A. Scallan became the third pastor and served until September 1964.
September 1964 – Rev. Joseph M. Susi became the fourth pastor and served until June 1991.
July 1991 – Rev. Bruce Miller, J.C.L. became the fifth pastor and served until June 2002.
November 5, 1994 – Fire destroyed the church at 214 North 17th Street.
1995 – Bishop Sam Jacobs announced that the church would be rebuilt at 4401 Bayou Rapides Road. The Diocese of Alexandria donated 6.6 acres of land located behind the diocesan offices to St. Rita Parish to rebuild the church.
December 3, 1995 – Ground was broken by Bishop Sam Jacobs and parishioners to build the church at the new location.
September 21, 1996 – The first Mass was celebrated at the new location.
October 26, 1996 – The church was dedicated by Most Reverend Sam G. Jacobs.
August 2001 -- St. Rita School moved from its former location at 1700 Ashley Avenue to England Airpark, 2386 Vandenburg Drive. Serving grades Pre-K thru 8th.
January 2002 – The parish opened a Child Development Center, located at England Airpark, 1005 Seip Drive, serving children ages 6 weeks thru 12 years.
June 2002 – Rev. Craig Scott became the sixth pastor and is the current pastor.
October 2003 – The mortgage to the new church building was paid off after only 7 years. The parishioners of St. Rita donated over $2.4 million dollars in building costs and loan interest for their new church home.
May 2009 – St. Rita School closes after 60 years of service
June 2012 - St. Rita Child Development Center closes.

Since the move of our church, the parish has grown to approximately 1500 families. With many programs offered in the parish and the involvement of many of our parishioners we continue to live our motto A loving family in worship – learning – action.

Administrative Staff

Map Info: St. Rita Church 31.300412 -92.492652